Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Welcome to the Crime Analysis and Data Mining Blog

This blog will be used to discuss the use of predictive analytics technology for Crime Analysis. Crime Analysis traces it's root to some really old times, read the History of Crime Analysis. Just like the criminals have become more savvy and intelligent over the years, so has the field of crime analysis changed and resorted to some cutting edge technologies. We plan to discuss some of these topics here.

I concieved the idea of this Blog while brainstorming with Dr Colleen McCue the author of the book that I have been reading these days called "Data Mining and Predictive Analysis." I have done some work in the area of Crime Data Mining while working in Oracle Corporation and recently IEEE Computer Society published my work. I had met Ralf in my recent visit to Germany to speak on Crime Data Mining and he added a comment on my presentation at this blog.

The other books on this topics that I like are Investigative Data Mining for Security and Criminal Detection by Jesus Mena and Crime Analysis and Mapping by Dr Rachel Boba. Dr Boba is a faculty in Criminal Justice at the same University where I went for my Grad school.

And finally, I would like to acknowledge Chuck Dodson from Oracle who is a "living breathing encyclopedia" of Criminal Justice. I consider him my Crime Analysis Guru. You can see some of his Crime related work here.

Thanks and a Happy New 2007 to everyone!
Shyam Varan Nath

No comments: